20 January 2009

Luscious lunch

I am not a girl who can skip lunch, or any other meal for that matter, I need breakfast as soon as I wake up and then spend hours dreaming of lunch time. This recipe comes from the first Cook yourself thin book and it is meant to be a tasty side dish, but it's great for cabbage lovers (like me!) as a really quick cook lunch. The original recipe is shredded savoy cabbage with toasted pine nuts and crispy prosciutto. I often chop and change it, any green cabbage will do and the prosciutto is often swapped for Serrano ham, as I used today, or my favourite, crispy pancetta....drool. The only thing I never change is the toasted pine nuts, I adore pine nuts and often I'm so hastily wanting to eat them I don't toast them properly, as in the picture, lol.









Shredded savoy cabbage with toasted pine nuts and crispy prosciutto



250g savoy cabbage

20g pine nuts

35g prosciutto - or other continental meat

1/2 tsp olive oil

2 sage leaves, finely chopped - I omit these

salt

1/4 tsp white pepper - I prefer to use black

Serves 2 - as a side dish

150 calories per serving



Take the outer leaves off the cabbage from the outside in and, using a sharp knife, remove the core. Roll the leaves up like cigars and slice into thin ribbons. Give them a quick wash under the tap and set aside without bothering to dry them too much.

In a large dry frying pan, toast the pine nuts over a medium-heat until golden. When toasted and lovely, remove them from the pan and set aside. Next add the prosciutto, laying it out flat in the bottom of the pan for 4 minutes until it has shrunk slightly and gone crispy. Set aside with the pine nuts.

Heat the pan up and pop in the olive oil, sage and cabbage. Stir-fry this mixture for 5 minutes, then put in 1 teaspoon of water, turn the heat off completely and place the lid on for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add the prosciutto in little shards and pine nuts before serving.








12 comments:

Maria said...

Delish looking salad and perfect if your watching your weight. I have Cook yourself Thin and just purchased the second book, a must have!

Maria
x

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm the same way you are--I start thinking about dinner while eating lunch!

winestainedcloth said...

That looks lovely. I'm always looking for dishes like this for buffet meals or just a quick yet healthy lunch.

Coby said...

Oh gosh is this another book I need to put on my wishlist???? LOL I'll probably have to get the third or four ed by the time I get to it:) Sounds like a great book. I adore cabbage too - and such great value! Why do you omit the sage? You don't like it with this dish, or you don't like it full stop?:) I do love a bit of mix and matching too - as long as lunch is served;)

Sally said...

Just adore your new look. Fresh, pretty and pink. Might have to do something with mine now too. LOL.
x x x x Sally

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Coby I just had no sage in the house, rarely do now I come to think of it.

Anna said...

Ooh, that looks so good - and healthy too of course. Positively yummy!

JillyB said...

That looks so good! We're cabbage lovers too and are always on the lookout for new recipes. I've 6 red cabbage in the veg plot at the mo, do you think it would work with that?

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Jilly I don't see why not, give it a try.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

This sounds like an amazing combination of flavours...I'd probably end up eating enough for six people though :)

Anne said...

That looks so good and a great combination, don't know how I missed this as have the book at home!

Anonymous said...

Je vous presente un nouveau blog qui vient d'ouvrir sur le theme de la mutuelle vous trouverai toutes les infos utiles
[url=http://mutuellecompareo.blogspot.com/]blog mutuelle[/url]