04 November 2008

Date and walnut flapjacks

I am always looking out for ways to boost my fibre intake and like most people would like the fibre filled food to taste good. As far as a snacks go "healthy" doesn't always equal tasty. Everyone knows that flapjacks, full of oats, are better than a bar of chocolate for a quick sweet fix but I still find most flapjacks just too sweet, most are made with sugar and added golden syrup, soon your healthy snack is turning into another fat filled treat.
Looking for healthier flapjack recipes I came across lots using dried dates, I was intrigued as in baking dates can give a lovely fudgy, softness such as in sticky toffee pudding.
The original couple of recipes I looked at didn't do it for me mainly because of unusual measuring method i.e teacups (?) and 'half tubs' of stuff....so I combined a everyday flapjack recipe with a inspired date and walnut flavouring. It worked.

Date and walnut flapjacks

125g butter
1 tbsp runny honey
100g dried dates, soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained well and chopped
50g broken walnuts
50g caster sugar
a handful of raisins (optional)
125g oats

Heat oven to 180c, grease a 8in square baking tin.
Put honey, butter, dates and walnuts into a pan, heat until the butter melts. The dates will turn fudgy and almost melt into the butter.
Stir in the caster sugar and raisins if using.
Stir in oats and mix well.
Bake for 20minutes, cut into bars as soon as you take them from the oven but don't try to remove them from the tray until cooled.


I have to say I adored these flapjacks and will bake them for myself again and again, my daughter, flapjack queen, wasn't impressed so we'll stick to usual flapjacks for her.
The dates did give a lovely fudgy, toffee flavour to the flapjacks and were complimented beautifully by the walnuts. They weren't however chewy flapjacks I suppose that is down to the lack of refined sugar, so they had a more cakey texture, either way they were delicious.
Although dried fruit itself is quite high in sugar I feel better about eating these flapjacks than a everyday one, plus the dates go toward your 5-a-day.....well, you might have to eat a few flapjacks to reach that but I'm willing.

6 comments:

Maria♥ said...

I love flapjacks, they are full of goodness. Your flapjacks look delish!

Maria
x

Vicky said...

These sound and look really good. Like you, most flapjacks are too sweet for me. xxx

The Blonde Duck said...

We could all use a little more fiber! Yum!

Coby said...

I don't think I've ever eaten a flapjack. Whenever I see a piccie I get confused as for some reason I always expect some sort of pancake. I am very curious to give these a go - somewhat like a mueslie bar?

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Coby are you maybe thinking of oatcakes, we have biscuit oatcakes for cheese and traditional pancake/ wrap oatcakes, these flapjacks are softer and less chewy than regular flpajacks...I think they are a cross between a flapjack and a cofee-shop cereal bar.

Rosie said...

Those flapjacks look amazing!!

Rosie x