09 May 2008

Easy chocolate croissants

This comes from Nigella Express, and to be honest the only reason I hadn't made these earlier was that I thought it was sacrilege to call a puff pastry parcel a croissant. Authentic they aren't but other than spending two days making real croissants this is the next best thing, well, apart from visiting a very good bakery.

I decided to make these as I had half a packet of pastry leftover from the curry puffs, waste not want not.

Basically this is what to do:
1 x 375g ready rolled puff pastry
1 x 100g dark chocolate
1 egg, beaten


Preheat oven to 220c. Unfurl the sheet of pastry and cut into 6 squares.
Cut each square diagonally to give 2 small triangles. Put the triangles with the wider part facing you, and the point away from you.
Break off small pieces of chocolate (approx. 1cm) and place on the pastry triangles, about 2cm up from the wide end nearest you.
Then carefully roll from that chocolate-loaded end towards the point of the triangle.
You should now have something resembling a straight croissant. Seal it slightly with your fingertips and curl it around into a crescent.
Place the 12 chocolate croissants on a lined but not buttered baking tray and paint with the beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes until they are golden and puffy and exuberantly, if minaturely, croissant-like.

Well they were cute, even though they refused to turn golden brown. My daughter, croissant conosseuir, asked why I had tried to replicate her favourite French pastry with puff pastry, sacrilege indeed.
Would I make these again, only to use up leftover puff pastry, not that they weren't tasty, they were, if you like chocolate wrapped puff pastry. They were wolfed down rather quickly, but a visit to a good baker would be just as easy and far more delicious.

7 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

I've made these a couple of times now and they're always wolfed down really quickly! They look good. :-)

hungryandfrozen said...

Sorry to hear you weren't so keen on them. They're not the real thing but aren't they cute! I've only made them once and I barely set the plate down before it was empty LOL. So delicious.

Rosie said...

I am sold anything with chocolate just has to be GOOD!! They look excellent!!

Rosie x

Rosie said...

Me again but I wanted to let you know I have an award for you on my blog sweetie.

http://rosiebakesapeaceofcake.blogspot.com/

Rosie x

Kelly-Jane said...

I'm worried about making these in case I eat them all! They look lovely.

Maria♥ said...

Wow these look gorgeous and I would love these for brekkie. I love your teapot set ;o)

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

It`s the teaset I am commenting on.